Mustache transplantation is the operation performed in men in cases when there is no facial hair on the upper part of the lip, when there are sparse areas and when facial hair loss is experienced. For people who do not grow a mustache on their upper lip, the hairs extracted from the hair follicles are transplanted to the area. The back of the neck is usually selected as the donor site during this operation.
This operation can be performed for those who are not content with their mustache area or do not find the shape of this area good-looking. After transplanting hair to the upper lip area, thicker mustaches can be obtained. The FUE method is used in mustache transplantation operations. Since mustache transplantation, which is a micro surgical operation, is performed under local anesthesia, it can be completed without any ache and pain. During the operation, the hair follicles extracted from the donor site are transplanted to the upper part of the lip with micro tools having the thickness of a hair strand.
What Causes Mustache Shedding?
Mustache shedding is one of top reasons for preferring the mustache transplantation operations. The reasons for mustache shedding can be listed as follows;
- Trauma and wounds that occur in the mustache area can damage the facial hair follicles and cause them to shed.
- Shedding of facial hair follicles in the mustache area may also occur in people having ringworm disease at certain intervals.
- Mustache shedding is normal in patients who have a mustache pulling habit.
- Infection and inflammation complaints that occur in the upper part of the lip are also among the causes of mustache shedding.
- Psoriasis that is not treated early may also cause mustache shedding.
How Mustache Transplantation is Performed?
Mustache transplantation operations are performed using procedures similar to the hair transplantation. The mustache transplantation process, which is performed meticulously by an specialized team with 25 years of experience, is as follows;
- Local anesthesia is given to the patient’s upper part of the lip. As a result, the patient does not feel any pain or ache during the operation.
- Hair follicles are extracted one by one from the chosen donor site by using the FUE method. The number of hair follicles to be extracted is determined depending on the mustache sparseness or thinness condition of the patient.
- The hair follicles which are meticulously extracted one by one are first subjected to a series of procedures. After the hair follicles are cleaned, they are made ready for transplanting to the mustache area.
- Then, the hair follicles are transplanted to the channels opened by the hair transplantation specialist in the mustache area.
Mustache transplantation is planned specifically for the person. The amount of mustache on the upper lip and the area to be transplanted differs by patient. The transplantation method and the number of hair follicles to be used are determined by the expert team in line with the aesthetic demands and current condition of the patient.
Who is Suitable for Mustache Transplantation?
Upon the patient’s demand, he is checked to determine whether he is suitable for mustache transplantation. Mustache transplantation operations can also be applied to individuals who have no mustache. In addition, it is an operation that is preferred by people who have sparsed mustache.
Mustache transplantation can also be applied in case of mustache loss that occurs due to trauma such as injury, burning or cutting for various conditions. Mustache transplantation can be planned for people who are not content with the density of their mustache provided that there is a suitable donor site and their general health condition is suitable for this operation.
A preliminary assessment is made for the patient to determine if he is suitable for mustache transplantation. Mustache transplantation is planned in case there is nothing that prevents the operation after the preliminary examination and tests.
What to Be Careful About Before the Mustache Transplantation?
There are some issues that the patient should take into consideration before and on the day of the operation so that the mustache transplantation is performed comfortably and successfully.
Points to take into consideration before mustache transplantation can be listed as follows;
- The clothes the patient wears during the operation should be put on and taken off in a way that does not rub the facial area. Otherwise, sensitivity may occur due to rubbing.
- Before the mustache transplantation, the patient should stop smoking and drinking alcohol for a while so that the recovery process is not adversely affected.
- The patient should not make demands with unlikely expectations. The most efficient planning to meet the demands of the patient is made by the expert team.
- Patients should have a light diet on the day of the operation. Heavy meals may discomfort the patient during the operation.
- Information about regularly used medications should be given at the operation planning stage. In particular, blood thinners may need to be suspended for a while.
- The existing mustache should not be cut before the operation. Trimming is made by the expert team on the morning of the operation when the patient first comes to the hospital.
- Patients should avoid consuming beverages containing caffeine for a while.
- Undergoing the operation on a full stomach increases the patient’s comfort.
Recovery Process After Mustache Transplantation
Since mustache transplantation operations are performed on the facial area of the patient, it is necessary to perform the operation meticulously and professionally. The most important advantage of mustache transplantation is that its recovery process is faster compared to other transplantations.
The recovery process after transplantation varies from person to person. An average of 7-10 days is sufficient for a complete healing.
The patients may have minor pain complaints after the mustache transplantation. They can solve such issues very comfortably by taking painkillers for 3-4 days as recommended by the expert team. In addition, it is important that the patient pay special attention to the hygiene of the area for some time against the risk of infection.
Points to take into consideration after the mustache transplantation can be listed as follows;
- During the first days, difficulties may be experienced in eating due to swelling in the mustache area.
- The patient should be careful while moving the area for the first 3-4 days after the operation. In this way, it can be ensured that the facial hair follicles do not move.
- After 2 days from the mustache transplantation, the area is washed for the first time. After the mustache is washed, the patient can apply lotion to solve the complaints of crusting in the area. After that, the mustache area can be washed frequently.
How Much Does Mustache Transplantation Cost?
Mustache transplantation prices will vary depending on the operation. Many factors such as the mustache transplantation method to be applied, the number of hair follicles to be transplanted and the width of the area to be transplanted are considered in determining the prices.
You can contact us through our contact channels to get detailed information about the prices of mustache transplantation and make an appointment. Since each mustache transplantation operation is planned individually, the prices will be quoted depending the patient’s demands and operation’s details.